Benefits of POI

Playing with POI is more than just a beautiful art.
When I first started I didn't realize there were so many
benefits to POI. With time as I got more advanced and
my training routine became more intense,
I noticed it worked my body more and more.

Before I knew it my muscles were toned and I was
feeling healthier. It was round about this time I decided
to look into the benefits. I found that POI was used,
many years ago, by the indigenous Maori people
of New Zealand to increase their flexibility and strength
in their hands and arms as well as improving coordination.
Well it turns out there were many more advantages that
modern science revealed and we are still discovering more!

Physical Benefits
  • Stretching, Joint Flexibility & Muscle Toning,
  • Full aerobic upper-body workout.
  • Playing poi strengthens your arms, wrists and fingers.
  • Poi will develop the physically weaker side of your body, balancing your left and right
  • Develops a sense of rhythm and timing.
  • Strengthens cardio vascular health
  • therefor Decreasing the risk of heart disease

Mental Benefits
  • Improve your fine and gross motor co-ordination.
  • It improves your hand eye co-ordination.
  • Speeds up reflexes and decreases reaction time.
  • Playing poi heightens one's awareness of immediate surroundings.
  • Develops concentration and focus.
  • Cultivates patience and persistence
  • Teaches you the importance of precision and accuracy.
  • Develops self confidence & self esteem.
  • Reduces stress & fosters inner peace


Documented Case - The Benefits of POI
Playing poi every day helped a child suffering with genetic
childhood arthritis in her spine and joints. Within a period
of 6 months she is almost medication free and is an active
member of the poi and fire performance and exhibition team.

As you can see POI is more than just fun it has major health benefits.
So if you needed a reason to spin daily.
You now have a great reason, your personal well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment